Clearing up for Winter

 Every spring I try to grow something new and unusual.  This past season I tried luffa gourds.  

I learned that they are pretty persnickety.  For one thing they require a looooong growing season; 150-200 days.  This means, unless you live in the tropics or sub-tropics, you need to get them started super early.  But, here's the catch, they don't like being transplanted.  So you have to start the seeds in peat pots.  I did this, but I found that it's better to have the large peat pots.  I planted a total of 12 seeds in two different sizes of peat pots; small and medium.  I had 9 seeds sprout.  But after setting them out, only the 3 plants in the large peat pots lived.

They took FOREVER to start setting on fruit.  But finally they did.  Then the gourds took another FOREVER to grow to maturity and be ready to harvest luffas from.  

I think I got maybe 5 or 6 luffas harvested from them this summer/fall before cooler weather set in.  

They are talking about a frost this coming week, so yesterday I harvested what was left on the vines.  These were all from those three vines!

  May be an image of outdoors 

I am hoping the biggest of these will dry out and have harvestable luffas in them.

They are fun to harvest.  It is incredible that such a durable sponge can develop in a gourd in the garden.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Motel Adventures

Welcome to the House of Howard